Liturgy / Mass
Altar servers form a very important part of our church services and through
their dedication to the Lord and assistance to the priests; they participate in
masses for Saturday and Sunday services, some weddings and special masses. At
times there is an opportunity to serve with a visiting Bishop.
We invite all
boys and girls from 4th grade up to participate in this ministry.
Altar servers have the following responsibilities:
• Before Mass: lighting the altar candles, making sure some of the items used
during the mass are ready and available.
• Beginning of Mass: Altar servers carry the processional cross and candles at
the front of the gathering procession. Depending on the celebration, others may
carry incense and a thurible.
• Opening prayer: An altar server holds the missal, so that the priest has both
• Receiving the gifts of bread and wine: When the priest receives these gifts,
altar servers assist him by carrying them to the proper place.
• Preparation of the chalice: Altar servers present the cruets of wine and water
for the priest to put in the chalice.
• An altar server administers the water to the priest as he ritually washes his
• Ceremony of the Eucharist: Altar servers ring bells at important points during
the Eucharistic Prayer.
• Ending procession: When the priest and the servers leave the altar, again the
processional cross and candles are carried.
Meetings: These occur for new members who sign up in order to teach
them what is involved in the role and for established members to review and
teach new serving techniques.
Altar Server Registration:
The Altar Server Ministry is always in need of new servers. Registration forms are now available online
or via the parish office. Servers can choose their preferred mass time and are also asked to assist at
special celebrations and masses throughout the year. Students entering Grade 4 and up are welcome to
register to volunteer with this ministry. Training is provided and new servers will have an opportunity to be
trained and shadow serve before officially starting. Please consider assisting at the Table of the Lord as this
is an important and rewarding ministry. For further information please contact Gabriela Starcevic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Grade 4 and Older)
Click Here for Registration Form
Contact Person: Gabriela Starcevic at email@example.com